The Local Clever Clubs School opened in 2009 after a need arose for the education of San Bushmen children. Fewer than 1 in 5 San children attend primary school due to financial difficulties and social prejudices. Discrimination of the San prevents many children from receiving adequate education and extends so far into them not being accepted into mainstream schools. Many San children do not speak English and therefore are unable to learn effectively, and government schools frequently discriminate against San children and do not accept them to the school. The challenges are enormous. Therefore, all the children who attend school with the support of the project are considered a huge success. Through providing quality education to the San people of Namibia, the project reduces poverty by increasing future earning potential for these children and young people. The School receives no government funding and is reliant on the generosity of donors and school volunteers to continue operating. The project is passionate that very child deserves the right to an education, and provides a positive learning environment for children to expand their knowledge and gain an understanding of the importance of education in their futures. Clever Clubs is a place where passion is encouraged, and enthusiasm is fostered. It’s a place where San Bushmen children can learn and become thoughtful students who take pride in their education.
Details about the project
Upon arrival you will be collected from the airport and driven to your accommodation where you’ll be given your project orientation and you’ll meet your fellow volunteers.
Details about the project
Namibia Education Assistant Project details
- Arrival Day: Monday
- Arrival Time: Any time
- Airport: Windhoek Hosea Kutako Airport (WHK), Namibia
- Departure Day: Monday
- Departure time: between 11am to 1pm
- Min Duration: 2 weeks
- Max Duration: None
- Min Age: 18 years old
- Max Age: N/A – Medium level of fitness and healthy
NOTE: If you arrive or depart on a different day and time to that specified above, you will have to pay an additional fee of +-N$ 500.00 fee in cash to the project coordinator on arrival/departure for a private transfer.
Volunteering at the local school provides a unique opportunity to make a positive impact on the local San Bushman children, whilst surrounded by Namibia’s beautiful landscapes and wildlife. Located at the Namibia Wildlife Sanctuary, the School co-exists with nature and is truly a place where wildlife and communities come together. All routine aspects of the program are carried out in a rotational group system to ensure that everybody gets exposed to the variety of experiences available. For the full experience and understanding of what the project does, it is highly recommend that you book at least three weeks on the project.
Volunteers will be expected to be involved in the daily activities of the school. Tasks may include:
- Assisting the teachers in preparations of lessons, develop/create teaching aids
- Helping in the playground and ensure the safety of the children
- Actively participating in school projects
- Helping out with clearing up and cleaning around the school as required
- Teaching the students new skills such as arts and crafts, music, dance, etc
- Planning and take part in the extracurricular activities
- Assisting with homework and student school projects.
- This project runs Monday to Friday.
- School hours are from 8am to 1pm.
- The children get 2 breaks in between lessons. 9am to 9:30am and 11:30am to 12:15pm.
- Afternoon activities start at 2:30pm and continue till 4pm.
- Saturdays and Sundays are your off days.
Please note that from time to time there can be unavoidable changes to projects. These can be caused by weather, conservation priorities, materials supply, or because ongoing projects have progressed more quickly or slowly than originally planned. We ask you to accept the changes – we are sure that you will enjoy the replacement projects just as much.
- Completed application form
- High level of competency in English
- Copy of return flight itinerary
- Medium level of fitness
- Experience in teaching or experience in working with children is preferred
- Volunteers will stay in tents (2 – 4 people per tent)
- All linen will be provided.
- The school is walking distance from the accommodation.
- Swimming pool is available.
- No visitors are permitted to enter the property unless permitted by the project leader