The Skills Development Project allows volunteers to transfer a skill they have to the children and/or adults of the local communities. The communities you will work in have low education levels, low levels of English comprehension, and the majority of the adults are unemployed. SAVE is always in need of volunteers with special skills that they can transfer to our communities and allow them to become self-sufficient and productive members of society. Previous projects have included, First aid training, family planning, childcare, dance classes, drama workshops, business management, computer literacy, woodwork and craftsmanship.
Details about the project
Upon arrival you will be collected from the airport and driven to your accommodation for your 2 Day Cape Town Orientation. On the start day of your project you will be transferred to your accommodation for the duration of your project.
Details about the project
Skills Development Project details
- Arrival Day – Saturday
- Time – Your flight can land anytime on Saturday
- Airport – Cape Town International Airport
- Orientation – Saturday – Sunday
- Project Starts – Monday
- Departure Day – Saturday
- Departure time – You can depart anytime
- Min Age: 16 (with Parental Consent)
- Min Duration – 2 weeks (incl 2 day Orientation)
We can also collect you at any Hotel or place of accommodation on your arrival day, should it be within close radius of the City center.
Volunteers will help with the daily running of the programmes for example:
- Establish and implement skills programs with children or adults
- Run workshops with groups or individuals (Volunteers need the confidence to run their own workshop)
- Provide course material for the lessons
- These can be anything from marketing of a product and teach the community basic skills on how to run their business. The possibilities are endless.
- One on one assistance with entrepreneurs.
- Business plan mentoring.
- Assisting with financial management.
- Implementing your own project plan to the community.
- Assisting of stock take and pricing of goods.
Volunteers will work 5 days a week. Some days volunteers will work a full 8 hours and other days 4 to 5 hours, depending on the needs of the project. Project tasks may sometimes seem repetitive – but your efforts will make a huge difference. Enjoy the project locations, your fellow team members, and the fact that you are helping to make a difference in the community development of South Africa.
AM: Volunteer Meeting
PM: Office Day
AM: Brain Storming
PM: Brain Storming
AM: Checking resources & Planning
PM: Purchasing materials
Week 2 and following weeks would differ according to the progression of the First week.
Please Note: Mondays are an office day for both new and old volunteers. New volunteers will receive their teacher training and additional information on our projects and the areas where they will be working. Volunteers who have been with us for more than one week will assist with planning for the week, equipment maintenance, re-organising storage spaces, donation sorting etc.
- Police clearance
- Basic level of competency in English
- Copy of return flight itinerary
- Eligibility & application form
Volunteers will be staying in one of our volunteer houses with bedrooms sleeping 2 – 5 people. All houses are facilitated with electricity, WIFI, hot water, a kitchen, communal bathrooms (with shower & toilets), beds with linen and a pillow (no towels). Male and female volunteers will share rooms unless otherwise requested. Upgrades to private single or double rooms are available at an extra cost.
Volunteers are responsible for keeping their own room and volunteer house tidy. Bathrooms are cleaned every day by cleaning staff, and linen is changed once a week. The volunteer houses are walking distance from shops, restaurants, entertainment, bus stops, and the beach.